Core network management procedures for self-organised and sustainable 5G cellular networks
Contact name: Dr. Daniele Munaretto and Gianluca Verin
Institution: Athonet Srl
Application deadline: xx-xx-2016
Description: This project includes the investigation of standardisation bodies’ specifications (3GPP and Small Cell Forum) to manage the user mobility, energy consumption and power switching strategy (on/off) of the EH BSs. The ESR will identify the most important primitives, and their characteristics, and will integrate them into the mobile core network. In addition, the network usage will be optimised via service reconfiguration, depending on traffic load and battery levels (at the BSs and at the end users). This project also leverages on network function virtualisation (NFV) techniques of the core network to deploy highly distributed and energy-efficient mobile networks in dynamic and unpredictable settings such as emergency scenarios.
Mobility Schedule: The candidate will be mainly hosted at Athonet Srl, with offices in Via Ca’ Del Luogo 6/8, Bolzano Vicentino (VI), Italy, 1 hour driving from Milan or Venice, under the supervision of Dr. Daniele Munaretto and Gianluca Verin. Athonet is the winner of the GLOMO award 2016, Best Mobile Technology.
After 14 months, the candidate will join the University of Padova for 8 months to work under the supervision of his secondary advisor (Dr. Michele Rossi) to acquire experience on the mathematical tools needed to model the performance of core network management procedures. To be trained on 5G network architecture and protocols.
The candidate will be also enrolled in the PhD program of the University of Padova.
Requirements of the candidate:
- At the time of recruitment, the applicant must not have lived in Italy for more than 12 months in the previous 36 months
- A Master degree in Telecommunications, Computer Science or equivalent
Once selected by the SCAVENGE consortium for the ESR positions, the applicants must apply for a PhD studentship at University of Padova.
- Knowledge on mobile networks, LTE technology, 3GPP standardisations, NFV/SDN.
- Knowledge on energy systems, communication systems, computer science.
- Ability and motivation to conduct high-quality research and development, including designing/implementing modules/interfaces and possibly publishing the results in relevant venues
- Strong programming skills in C/C++, Python.
- Working experience in the areas of Mobile Networks, Smart Grid, Big Data management, NFV, Cloud computing is an advantage.
- Knowledge on Optimization Theory is an advantage.
- Very good communication skills in oral and written English.
- Open-mindedness, strong integration skills and team spirit.
Troubleshooting and problem solving skills.