Joint access-fronthaul design for energy harvesting C-RANs
Contact name: Dr. Deniz Gunduz and Dr. Cong Ling
Institution: Imperial College London
Description: Cloud radio access network (C-RAN) technology is a novel mobile network architecture, which can reduce the operational costs of mobile networks significantly by centralising the baseband processing. This project will focus on the joint optimisation of the access and fronthaul design in C-RANs with energy-harvesting remote radio heads (RRHs), and dynamic distribution of RAN functionalities between the cloud centre and the RRHs will be considered taking into account energy harvesting and energy storage constraints.
Mobility Schedule: The candidate will be mainly hosted at Imperial College London, where he will also work towards his/her PhD degree under the supervision of Dr. Deniz Gunduz and Dr. Cong Ling.
After month 18 the ESR will spend 5 months at University of Maryland under the supervision of Prof. Sennur Ulukus, and after month 30 will spend another 5 months at Huawei Finland Labs under the supervision of Dr. Adnrey Krendzel and Dr. Kari Heiska.
Requirements of the candidate:
- At the time of recruitment, the applicant must not have lived in UK for more than 12 months in the previous 36 months
- A Master degree in Telecommunications, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Once selected by the SCAVENGE consortium for the ESR positions, the applicants must apply for PhD studentship at Imperial College London. Failure to comply with the admittance procedure and requirements in the PhD program of Imperial College London will render the candidate ineligible to be offered the position.
- Knowledge on communication and information theory, optimisation theory, networking, and strong mathematical foundations.
- Knowledge on energy harvesting communication network optimisation.
- Ability and motivation to conduct high-quality research, including publishing the results in relevant conferences and journals.
- Programming skills (e.g. Matlab, C/C++).
- Working experience in the areas of Mobile Networks, Sensor Networks, Smart Grid, Energy Harvesting, Big Data management, Cloud computing is an advantage.
- Very good communication skills in oral and written English.
- Open-mindedness, strong integration skills and team spirit.